Search this site
Junior College Football
College Basketball Home
FINAL: Memphis 76 - LSU 69
Pastner's crew won it late Friday (USA Today)
Posted Nov 29, 2013
No. 21 Memphis wiped away a four-point deficit at halftime to come back and beat LSU 76-69. Come inside, where TSD publisher Ben Love has postgame HD videos and commentary from both locker rooms in Orlando.
– The day of second-half runs continued into the second winner’s bracket game Friday, when No. 21
(3-1) overcame a four-point halftime deficit to beat
(4-2) by a final of 76-69.
Josh Pastner’s Tigers were paced by freshman forward Austin Nichols, who finished with 19 points and eight rebounds. In the backcourt Memphis also got a combined 33 points from starters
and Chris Crawford.
The Bayou Bengals, who led for most of the ballgame’s first 28 minutes, couldn’t get out of their own way. LSU committed 24 turnovers, compared to 10 for Memphis, which is the same number big man Johnny O’Bryant had by himself.
O’Bryant did have 14 points and nine rebounds to go with the giveaways.
had a season-high 20 points while freshman
posted 10 points, six rebounds and four blocks.
Memphis advances to the championship game Sunday night at 7:30 p.m. ET, when the Tigers will get a rematch with No. 5 Oklahoma State. LSU will play Butler in the third-place game Sunday at 2 p.m. ET.
THREE-POINT PLAY: MEMPHIS
- Coach Josh Pastner on bouncing back from loss at Oklahoma State: “It’s Memphis, in terms of the city. People in the city were upset. We were all upset. I tried to say it’s a process and it’s going to take some time. We have nine new guys. We’re not a team that’s been together for a long time. I knew it was going to take some time. I also knew one of the key things for this team was how do we handle adversity?”
- Pastner on playing Cowboys again: “Oklahoma State is a great team. They’ve got a great player obviously in
. Travis Ford does a tremendous job with their team. It’s the next game on our schedule. I’m not big into revenge. It’s the next game. We just have to get better and trust the process. When you look at our schedule, we don’t have time to get up one game.”
- Austin Nichols on his confidence: “I gotta give it up to my guards for getting me the ball. If it wasn’t for them, I wouldn’t have done half of what I did tonight … It’s good I’ve taken the responsibility and stepped up. I love my teammates. It’s been a good season so far. I’ve just got to keep going.”
THREE-POINT PLAY: LSU
- Coach Johnny Jones on game’s pace: “I thought it was a quick-paced game. Both teams tried to execute in the halfcourt when they got down there … We thought we did a good job of contesting shots and holding them to a low field goal percentage in the first half … There was just a little stretch there late in the second half where we turned the ball over, and they made plays down the stretch and we didn’t.”
- Jones on why
played so seldom in second half: “Because of the length that we had out there on the floor, on the wings, defensively, we could prevent them from taking our guards (down inside). Between Shavon and Malik, they did a good job with their length, holding them at bay for a while.”
- Jones on Butler/day off: “You talk about their program and the tradition of it, going to two final fours in a row. They had a very good basketball game today. It will be a tough challenge for us on Sunday … The day off is going to help us. It’s going to give us an opportunity to probably rest a little bit more. We’ll be rested and fresh for the game on Sunday.”
LIVE GAME THREAD: LSU vs. No. 21 Memphis
Nov 29, 2013
Old Spice Classic: Day Two Coverage
Nov 29, 2013
Mid-Tournament LSU Shuffle
Nov 28, 2013
2014 Scout.com Recruiting Yearbook
with an annual Total Access Pass
Free Email Newsletter
Don't miss any news or features from ScoutCBK.com. Subscribe to our newsletter to have our newest articles emailed to you on a daily or weekly basis.
Click here for a
list of all Team Newsletters
Add Topics to My HotList
Get free email alerts with news about your favorite topics. Click link to add to
Basketball > LSU
Basketball > Memphis
View My HotList
Places to go:
Junior College Football
Things to do:
Things to buy:
Things to know:
Terms of Service
Advertise on MSN
About our ads
© 2013 Microsoft